What to Do if Seriously Injured in an Auto Accident
Thousands of auto accidents occur in the United States every day. This is not a surprising statistic but it is definitely frightening when you or a loved one becomes a part of that figure. The time immediately following an auto accident can be both traumatic and confusing. This time period is also crucial to your case should you need to file a lawsuit. At Kaine Law, our Atlanta personal injury lawyers are here to help you understand your case and guide you through the litigation process.
Below are steps on what to do if you are injured in an accident:
- Remain calm: Although motor vehicle accidents can be terrifying, you must remain calm. Check to make sure you and your passengers are safe. If anyone has sustained injuries, call for medical help. Your health must be your primary concern.
- Move your vehicles if the accident is minor: If you are in a minor accident, move all cars to the roadside to reduce the likelihood of additional accidents.
- Call the police: You should have a police report during the claims process. If you are in an area where police do not visit the scenes of auto accidents, go to the police station or visit the Department of Motor Vehicles website to file an accident report.
- Exchange information: Exchange and collect information with other drivers, including telephone numbers and insurance information. If any witnesses were present, be sure to obtain their contact information as well.
- See a doctor or medical professional: Injuries from a car accident do not always appear immediately. Doctors are likely to discover any injuries you might have suffered. And they provide a complete medical report that can later be used in your case.
- Follow your doctor’s orders: You must follow the treatment and orders of your doctor after the accident. Failure to do so can jeopardize your health and your case.
- Call an attorney: Make sure you speak with experienced lawyers immediately. Do not speak to anyone, including fellow victims or insurance adjusters.
Contact a committed lawyer in Atlanta, GA
Everyone at Kaine Law — from our highly qualified lawyers to our dedicated staff — is ready to serve you. We realize that auto accidents can cause serious injuries that can affect every aspect of your life. If you are the victim of a car accident, we want to be your voice.